The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

Scales, Weights and Accuracy

Scales, Weights and Accuracy

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 pm

So, I'm a colossal fat-ass. Everyone knows it.

Last week, I was pleased that my weight had dropped to about 316. I decided to only weigh myself once a week, because then I wouldn't get discouraged when there's NO change day to day, but one or two pounds in a week is reasonable.

So a week later I weigh myself, and I went UP five or six pounds.

What the hell? I fail to see how this is at all possible.

So four days later, I've dropped two pounds from that, which is still up a net of three pounds from ten days ago.

I KNOW I am thinner. My pants are looser than ten days a go, baggier, my shirts longer, etc etc. I know I have gotten smaller. I doubt I put on 6 lbs of muscle in 10 days.

I know hydration is a factor, but I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, at baseline, but that seems to vary by 2-3 pounds from day to day, up or down. I dunno what I actually weigh, or if my weight ten days ago was accurate.

Do I just assume that I somehow gained six pounds by eating healthy and exercising?

Kyrose

Re: Scales, Weights and Accuracy

Post  Kyrose on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Scales are not accurate. Mine is a fairly new electronic one, and it'll vary by upto 2lbs depending on how I stand on it. If theres a spring involved, then a slight change in how the pressure is being applied will have large changes in the reading. Just remembr that weight is only one way to measure fitness, and probaly the second least accurate one at that (The first being BMI, as it doesnt take into account gender or muscle mass.) Keep reading things via your clothing, measurments, estimated bodyfat percentage, relative strength and endurance, and how healthy you feel overall.

Not the most pleasent of possibilities... but you could also be literaly full of crap. That would certainly change what the scale tells you.

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:47 am