The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

Grading time

Kyrose

Grading time

Post  Kyrose on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Well, the time has come once again... Legend has it that thursday I get tested for my green bar. Certainly not a high rank, but an accomplishment all the same. GoShinDo is not exactaly the same as shipwreck probaly remembers... It feels rather muddled. Its asthough the head instructor is in a rush to flood our minds with all he knows. Larry (who does 90% of the teaching now), try as he might to keep it to the book that Shihan himself developed, is often set aside. Despite my middling rank in the art, I now have nearly 4 years experiance with it, and have been shown techniques that are well beyond my "level". I enjoy the system we currently have with the belts. Its much more just a peice of fabric than a representation of where the student is.

I'm at the stage where come thursday I'm not the least bit concerned about not knowing enough, or being able to do the technique properly. Instead, i'm worried that I know to much, and am able to do too many techniques smoothly. When they ask me to do a defence from this type of grab, I know that its desired i respond with technique a and b. Problem is i've become so used to techniques c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j.... that they all blend together into some form of pain-dealing technique stew.

Heres hoping that its the ability to understand what to do and why thats more important, because I know I will use the "wrong" technique. but at least i'll be able to explain why I used it.

Re: Grading time

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Shihan is a fair and forgiving grader.

And congrats!

Kyrose

Post  Kyrose on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 pm

I assume you know what i'm describing. When you reach a point where they say "do something!" you know they want a perticular something, problem is you know about a dozen things you could do, and if just left to it would come up with a dozen more.

Very irritating stage of training. I remember Dave Stewart once described the cycle of training as follows:

when you just start out, a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch.
    Once you have become skilled, a kick or a punch can become anything you imagine. you can take them wherever you want to go.
    Once you've reached blackbelt, a kick will once again become just a kick, and a punch just a punch.

I think i've reached his phase 2.

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:37 pm

I do remember that, I would always stall out when it was combination techniques, like "block and counterstrike". I would perform the block, and then blank, because I had 18 openings for counterstrike, and I didn't know what he wanted to see, and he always just said "Do whatever feels best."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 am