The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

The Body as a Predictable System

The Body as a Predictable System

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Simple systems typically have predictable behavior, just because the quantity of axioms is so low that there's an easily defined limit to how many iterations they can produce. As systems get more complex, predictable behavior becomes more and more difficult and erratic, until predictability is virtually impossible.

However, as systems get EVEN MORE complex than that, predictable and coherent behavior returns. Weather has trillions of variable axioms, and yet, at least in the short range, it can be predicted fairly well based not off of theoretical models, but based off of learned past behavior. The human body is, from some aspects, even more complex than the weather, but it also has lots of understandable and predictable behaviors.

Right now, I've just encountered one of the least pleasant, but most reassuring ones: the catastrophic intestinal pain and distress associated with my body finally shaking off illness. I've been sick as a dead dog since late Friday, and here we are, closing in on late Wednesday, and I only feel a 'bit' better. However, it's definitely on the downward (upward? whatever) slope, and I can feel my body recovering, and right now my body is going through the "blood pressure / serious water shortage / monocyte-flush / damaged-cell-flush" process all at the same time. I feel dizzy, and cold, and sweaty, and my guts are killing me, but I know what this means, because ordered behavior results from insanely complex behavior.

My body has lots of other quirks and tricks and wierd behaviors, and I've gotten good at interpreting them. As I find more, I'll post them here.

Re: The Body as a Predictable System

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Or not.

Binge-partying became a cold.

The cold became a chest cold.

Chest cold became an ear infection.

Ear infection has now become tonsilitis.

I've gotten 16 hours of sleep since Sunday morning.

Kyrose

Post  Kyrose on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:42 pm

I suggest drugs. lots of them.

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Halls and Motrin Cold & Flu right now.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am