The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

The Pushup

Kyrose

The Pushup

Post  Kyrose on Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 pm

The pushup is another one of those super exercises. In order to properly perform one, nearly every musclegroup in the body must be engaged to some degree. Obviously the exercise concentrates on the pecs and tri's, but you need to use your biceps shoulders and back to support yourself. forarms get a workout by providing an ideal grip to perform work. your core needs to be engaged, turning your body in a suspension bridge. hams and quads stabalize the legs, while your calves provide support at your feet.

Compare this to the benchpress, where the flat surface you are laying on provides most of the bodys support, and you can see the obvious benifits.

When performing one rep, the average human is required to lift roughly 60% of thier bodyweight. for those of us who are top heavy, its more, bottom heavy its less. Some basic physics allows us to manipulate this number. raise your feet, and it becomes harder. raise your hands and its now easier. thus a wide range of resistance can be provided.

Then you can get into the discussion of tempo. Fast or slow reps? how many per set, and how much rest between? maybe a variation of how hard you need to work? Do one set with high reps very slow, then the next with feet elevated, low reps, but done extreamaly fast?

There are near infinit combo's you can use when doing just the simple pushup, let alone its many many varients.

Re: The Pushup

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 pm

My pushups are inclined (fairly steep, about 45 degrees! I need shoes, or I'll slip) but I have noticed them getting substantially easier lately.

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Did 60 yesterday
    Up to 60 so far today, plan to do up to 100 at home, and stay at 100 per day.

It's wierd, my arms are sore for the first few sets of the day, but the last 30 have been painless! you'd figure the opposite.

Kyrose

Post  Kyrose on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Good to hear that your doing them. Dont forget to do the squats as well. try for two times more than your doing in pushups.

Are you doing full on standard pushups, or at an angle?

Either way, 60 a day is a good number for you, and i'm sure you'll see some improvement with it.

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Did 110 pushups yesterday. I don't do the squats, because if I do the squats I'm too sacked out to use the elliptical at night.

Kyrose

Post  Kyrose on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Amazing how fast they add up, isnt it?

Feeling stronger yet?

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Not yet, I'm giving it at least a week.

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Also, since I'm doing all of these on my knuckles, clenched-fist style, I've been developing knuckle-callouses again. Sweet!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 am